The Carthusian Order was founded in about 1084 by a man named Bruno Hartenfaust. He was born inCologne in 1030 and began studying at Rheims Cathedral School at an early age. Here he earned a doctorateand was appointed Chancellor and master of the School, a post he held for twenty years. He was one of the mostremarkable scholars and teachers of his time: ‘…..a prudent man, whose word was rich in meaning.’However, Bruno grew increasingly uneasy at the laxity which he perceived to have permeated much of thereligious life of the city and church. So he left for Molesmes, where Robert, a former Benedictine monk, having feltthe similarly, was trying out a different way to lead a monastic life – a more austere lifestyle than the one to whichhe had been accustomed as a monk. Robert and Bruno both felt that a life where monks still lived partially in thecommunity yet also spent a great deal of their time as hermits, alone, in prayer and meditation, would bemore conducive to the maintenance of the high ideals to which they aspired. But they had their differences: Robertwished to keep the custom of sleeping in large dormitories, whereas Bruno felt it to be better if the monks livedin their own individual ‘cells’ (actually small cottages), only meeting at certain times.So they parted; Robert to found the austere Cistercian Order, and Bruno the even stricter Carthusians.Bruno then went, with six companions, to the Bishop of Grenoble and asked him to help them find a place wherethey could start their new life.He led them to a remote site high in the French Alps, called ‘La GrandeChartreuse’, where they founded the first Carthusian Monastery. From then on, the Carthusians always chose sitesas remote as possible for their houses: either high in mountains or deep in forests. Noting how older orders often grewvery large and wealthy (through gifts of land given in exchange for masses said for souls), and how that wealthcontributed to laxity, Bruno stipulated that the number of monks (fathers) in a Carthusian monastery should notexceed twelve (the number of the disciples) with one ‘prior’ chosen from among them (‘the first among equals’).The small number would help enable them to keep a certain poverty to which they aspired. Their ‘cells’, inwhich by far the greatest amount of their time would be spent, should be built around a (very large) cloister.Food would be delivered to each cell through a ‘dog-leg’ hatch, where the monk would be unable even to see theman delivering it. The church, kitchen and refectory would be built to the north of these.
THE CARTHUSIAN ORDERThese notes are produced by Margaret Dodge
WHO FOUNDED THE MONASTERY?There were two ‘founders’ of the Carthusian monastery now at Hinton. Firstly, William Longspee, Earl of Salisbury, founded one in 1222 on his land at Hatherop, in Gloucester. It was only the second of its kind in England at the time, the other one being Witham Priory, established by Henry II. Secondly, ten years later it was moved and ‘refounded’ at Hinton by William’s widow, Ela, Countess of Salisbury William was the son of Henry II and one of his courtesans. His mother was previously believed to be Henry’sfavourite, Rosamund Clifford, known as the Fair Rosamund, but is latterly thought to be Countess Ida de Tosny.He was therefore half brother to both Richard Ist (the ‘Lionheart’) and King John. Under John he had held highoffice in England, and was sent abroad on political and diplomatic missions. He fought for John in France andFlanders, and was present in 1219 at the capture of Damietta, a port at the mouth of the Nile, on the 5th Crusade, where he distinguished himself by his courage. He was called by the monk historian, Matthew Paris ‘the flower of earls’.William was indeed a heroic character, and an archetype of the ideal medieval chivalric knight. The name ‘Longspee’ means ‘Long Sword’, which would indicate a man of considerable height. This is also borne out by his long tomb in Salisbury Cathedral. The king - held him in very high regard. William’s wife Ela became known for her Christian devoutness, and in his latter years William was profoundlyinfluenced by (St) Edmund of Abingdon towards a more devout life, and founded the monastery in Hatherop. But on March 7th 1226, William died. He had been sent on a campaign abroad, but was so long in returning that he was believed to have been drowned, and Hubert de Burgh, Chancellor of England, planned to haveEla married to his nephew. Then William arrived home with much rejoicing. Hubert invited him to dine that evening, and William died in great agony of body and anguish of mind that same night. He was assumed to have been poisoned, but it could not be proved and Hubert was never charged. Proof was forthcoming later, when in 1791 William’s tomb was opened, and a rat poisoned with arsenic was found within his skull. His was the first burial in Salisbury Cathedral (in the south west corner of the central crossing).